Story Highlights Minister of Youth and Culture, Hon. Lisa Hanna, has expressed strong concern over recent actions taken by civil society group, Jamaicans for Justice (JFJ), including the posting of a video online, which criticized the treatment of juveniles in detention.Miss Hanna stated that the information is “factually incorrect, intellectually dishonest and over-sensationalised”.She pointed out that it does not take into account the actions taken by the Government over the past 18 months, and those currently being implemented, to address the multiplicity of issues facing children in the country, particularly those who come in contact with the justice system.The Minister who was speaking on July 17 at the weekly Jamaica House press briefing held at the Office of the Prime Minister, said the Government takes seriously, its responsibility for the care and protection of children, who come in contact with the law.As such, she said, the administration has been implementing a slew of programmes and policies to safeguard the interests of these and other children.“We have no problem with petitions and welcome them as part of the vibrant democracy the Government supports and encourages…we do not condone the public promotion of information that is incorrect, malicious, and designed to unfairly hurt Jamaica’s human rights record locally and internationally,” she stated.The Youth Minister noted that incidents, which are alleged to have happened to children in state care in 2009 and 2010, which were not subject to an international online petition at that time, had now, over the past few days, been presented as the current actions of the Government.She asserted that the positive actions taken to improve the care and protection of children had been ignored, with the Government characterised as abusing children.Speaking to the call for the removal of children from Fort Augusta and police lockups, she noted that all juveniles have already been removed from the Horizon Remand Centre, and that the Government is already implementing the removal of all juvenile girls remanded by the court, from Fort Augusta, by December, 2013.Additionally, Minister Hanna outlined, all children, who were being held at correctional centres on orders from the court, and who meet the classification as being in need of care and protection, have been removed by the Child Development Agency (CDA) to children’s homes.She pointed out that since January 2012 and May 2013, some 148 children have been taken from police lock ups, for care and protection.However, Minister Hanna explained that children remanded to juvenile correctional centres or other remand centres by a judge, can only be removed by orders of the court.She said that as children do break the law from time to time and must come in contact with the police, the Government is developing a child diversion programme to provide the justice system with options for rehabilitation other than incarceration.“The Government is working to ensure that in these unfortunate circumstances, the children are accommodated for processing for appearance before a judge within 48 hours as stipulated by Jamaican law and international protocols, in child friendly environment that protect their rights,” Ms. Hanna said.She emphasised also, that the Government had committed that by year-end, facilities and systems will be in place to ensure that children, who come in contact with the law do not spend more than 48 hours at police stations.“Jamaica is being brought, by this Government, into compliance with local law and international protocols after some 22 years of noncompliance,” she stated. All juveniles have already been removed from the Horizon Remand Centre The JFJ vbideo disregards the actions taken by the Government over the past 18 months
APTN National NewsTwo people have been charged with the murder of Lorretta Saunders.Halifax police made the announcement Thursday afternoon.They say that Saunders was killed on February 13th, the same day her family noticed she’d gone missing.Victoria Henneberry and Blake Leggette now face first degree murder charges and have there court hearing Friday.As APTN’s Trina Roache reports, news of Saunders death is a shock to volunteers and friends who helped in the search.
December 4, 1999Much of the detailing-work in the construction of Arcosanti is performed on-site.Cabinets, trim, fixtures, lighting, and railings, to name a few, are all elementswhich are fabricated in the various shops. The reuse of materials in these fabricationsis always desirable, as well, and is an example of frugality in practice. In this photo, current workshopper, JamesDavenport, who has opted to spend his time in the Metalshop cuts apart some scrapmetal to obtain pieces which will be welded into a railing. Photo and text byBenjamin Ericson.
Tony Cohen has stepped down as FremantleMedia CEO and will be replaced by Cécile Frot-Coutaz. She is currently the CEO of FremantleMedia North America and has been with the company for seventeen years. FremantleMedia said that Cohen is stepping down to “focus on his non-executive work”.Guillaume de Posch, co-CEO of FremantleMedia parent company RTL Group said: “I want to thank Tony Cohen for his outstanding achievements. He transformed FremantleMedia from a collection of individual entities into a global content power house.”
Comux, the infrastructure joint venture set up to support the launch of local digital-terrestrial TV channels in the UK, yesterday switched on new transmitters at Winter Hill to bring services to Liverpool, Manchester and Preston.The transmitters, overseen by Comux and operated by Arqiva, will extend the reach of the local TV network increase by more than two million to a total of 12,390,000 homes across the country.“Just over a year ago Comux won the Ofcom licence to manage this major infrastructure project and create a business that would help to ensure the long-term future of local television,” said Ed Hall, CEO of Comux.“With today’s launch at Winter Hill, the network now reaches more than 12.3 million homes, and the revenue from the sale of spare capacity is starting to come in. I am pleased to say that the team at Comux has worked successfully with Arqiva to deliver this major project on time and on budget.”
Channel provider SPI International has struck two commercial agreements with Coca-Cola in Turkey and Lay’s potato chips in Poland to promote its video-on-demand service FilmBox Live. In Turkey, the company is offering a free FilmBox subscription as part of the Coca-Cola Choice Menu offered by online grocery Yemeksepeti.A free one-week subscription to FilmBox Live gives all users who place a Coca-Cola Secilmis Menu order the opportunity to receive a special code via email or SMS, enabling them to access the FilmBox on-demand catalogue and live streaming channels.FilmBox Live has also launched a promotional campaign with Lay’s potato chips in Poland. Promo codes offering 24-hour access to 70 movies can be found in specially marked Lay’s bags available in stores throughout the country.“FilmBox Live, with its great, diverse content, a user-friendly interface and various advanced technological features is currently one of the most valued, reliable and widely available VOD services in Europe. We are looking forward to the successful outcome of the on-going promotional campaigns and we hope to attract more global brands to team up with FilmBox Live in Turkey, Poland as well as other countries where FilmBox Live is available,” said Guney Yasavur, COO of FilmBox Live.