Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Pexels Stock Image.HARRISBURG — A weekend computer glitch that caused service issues in several Pennsylvania Commonwealth agencies, including on-line voter registration, has been resolved, according to officials.Multiple commonwealth agencies were impacted by the outage that was due to an equipment failure at a data center managed by Unisys for the commonwealth, officials said.Voters can once again go online to votesPA.com to register to vote, apply for a mail ballot, or check their voter registration, among other services.The Department of State’s professional licensing services are among the applications that are still affected. The Commonwealth Office of Information Technology and Unisys are working to restore those functions as quickly as possible. Online services for the departments of Revenue and Human Services and the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board also are affected.Officials stressed the problem was equipment failure and there was no sign of criminal activity.The issue began at approximately 5:30 p.m. on Saturday. Technicians identified the cause as an equipment failure at a data center managed for the commonwealth by Unisys and immediately began to work on plans for recovery. There is no indication at this time of any malicious physical or cyber activity, or that any loss of data has occurred.
Many years ago when I started investing, I was terrified of risk. Tales of the Great Depression and people jumping out of buildings during the stock market crash of 1929 floated in my mind.Fast-forward several decades. After investing many dollars, I have learned how to understand and manage risk in investing.Sensible investing in the financial markets is important to grow your money for the future. You need to earn the type of returns that will allow you to spread out earnings over a long life. That is difficult to do until you identify the parameters of risk and understand your individual risk tolerance.Types of Investment RiskYou cannot avoid risk, but you can learn how to invest so that you will minimize risk while maximizing returns. There are three principal types of investment risk: continue reading » 7SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
FC Barcelona may still have to wait longer than necessary in their quest to fill the vacuum created with the exit of Neymar to PSG last week following the rejection from FC Liverpool for Philippe Coutinho and Ousmane Debele.Although reports claim the duo are willingly to jump for the Catalan club offer, their respective clubs are not looking into that direction to sell any player.Liverpool Manager Jurgen Klopp said midfielder Philippe Coutinho would not be sold at any price, as British media reported the club had rejected a second bid worth 100 million euros ($117 million) from Barcelona. Barcelona had already been rebuffed last month in an 80 million euro bid for the 25-year-old, who joined Liverpool from Inter Milan for 8.5 million pounds ($11 million) in 2013.The 24-time Spanish league champions increased the offer to 85 million euros plus 15 million in add-ons but Liverpool have rejected the second bid, maintaining their stance that the player is not for sale, according to the reports.“Liverpool is not a club that has to sell players. That is set in stone. So what they offer in the end doesnâ€™t matter,” Sky Germany quoted Klopp as saying.“From a financial standpoint, there is no price limit to let him go. No price at which we are ready to give in. Our goal is to have the best possible team. So we want to keep our guys and add new ones. That is our plan.”While Spanish media have suggested that a deal for Coutinho’s move to Barcelona was close to completion, British media say Liverpool have not and will not make any plans to discuss the player’s future with the Catalan club.On the same issue, Borussia Dortmund confirmed that they have rejected an offer from Barcelona for Dembele.Although the German side’s sporting director, Michael Zorc, insisted no deal has been struck, speculation increased yesterday when coach Peter Bosz revealed Dembele missed training and that the club could not contact him.Shortly afterwards, an announcement was released revealing that negotiations had taken place, but a deal is “not currently likely”.“Borussia Dortmund has held talks with the Catalan football club FC Barcelona regarding the possible transfer of the BVB player Ousmane Dembele to FC Barcelona.“During this meeting, the representatives of FC Barcelona submitted a bid which did not match the player’s extraordinary footballing ability or value to the club, nor the present economic market situation of the European transfer market. BVB therefore rejected this offer.“As there is no other offer from FC Barcelona to date, there is currently no transfer of the player to FC Barcelona and this is not currently likely.”The Bundesliga club have insisted it will take a bid of over â‚¬100 million to sign the France international, who has scored 10 goals in 50 games for the club since joining from Rennes for â‚¬15m July in 2016.The Bundesliga Rookie of the Season for 2016-17 revealed in June that Barca had made contact with him before.He told Mundo Deportivo: “Last year I had contact with the Barcelona sports director.“I’m good at Dortmund. I have a contract until 2021. I don’t pay attention to what is said.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Professional esports claims official recognition from the Finnish government as pro players are now regarded as athletes.According to an article on the Nordic Business Insider, the Finnish Central Tax Board recently announced a decision to consider esports players as athletes for tax purposes. The statement justifies the move by describing how sports “can also mean mental games of skill, where success is primarily based on something other than physical performance.”The news comes just one week after we reported that the Games and Amusements Board in the Philippines officially recognised esports for the purposes of their support and regulation.The decision by the Tax Board was reportedly made after review of a Finnish tax resident who was contracted by an American organisation to play, practice and perform marketing duties such as attending events, performing interviews, and taking part in photo shoots.This ruling will now mean that the player’s wages and tournament winnings will now qualify as ‘professional sports activities earnings’. Consequently, a portion of this income can be placed in an investment fund which receives sheltering from tax. The fund’s purpose is help aid athletes transition as their sports careers come to an end – which will be a welcome addition for esports players, who commonly stop competing before hitting their thirties.Earlier this year, we reported on Finland’s status as a rising giant in the games industry, with over a billion people playing games that have originated on Finnish soil.Esports Insider says: It appears that the floodgates have begun to open for governments lending support to esports worldwide. Moves like this one, as well as helping regulate the industry and support its athletes, also lend serious credence to its organisations. That may prove pivotal in securing them more and more non-endemic business partners as the scene develops.
Fr. Jack Hacket embarking on a career in retail at SupervaluCustomers in a Donegal supermarket have noticed a certain clergyman has appeared on the store’s Manager Board.Supervalu Dungloe has added an unorthodox Off-Licence Manager to the team, one with a lifetime fondness for the sauce.There could be no greater expert in alcohol than Father Jack Hacket, of Father Ted fame. Let’s hope the boozy boss doesn’t get the keys to the whiskey cabinet! DRINK! GIRLS! FATHER JACK LANDS JOB IN DONEGAL SUPERMARKET was last modified: September 16th, 2013 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
SACRAMENTO – Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger unveiled on Friday an updated $131 billion budget plan for next year that restores funding for education and social services, pays down California’s debt and does not raise taxes. The plan reflects a nearly $14 billion increase in spending from the current year, buoyed by increased receipts of personal income tax, capital gains, stock options and corporate taxes. “Today I’m a very happy governor,” Schwarzenegger said at a press conference releasing the budget. “Because of our fantastic economic growth, education is now fully funded. That is a cause for great celebration. “But we’re not out of the woods yet. We still have work to do and we won’t rest until we get rid of the deficit once and for all.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinalsStill, the unexpected revenue growth allows the governor to pay back funds he owed to schools earlier than planned, as well as make early payments on the economic recovery bond debt he incurred in his first year in office. It also allows him to put $2.2 billion in reserve, the highest level since the 1970s. The plan won guarded praise from both Democrats and Republicans, apparently foreshadowing what could be a relatively smooth debate in the Legislature this summer. Democrats said they were glad to see the changes Schwarzenegger had made since his January budget, particularly the increased funds for education and social services. They portrayed the budget as one aligned with changes that Democrats had sought in recent legislative hearings. They also believe the governor was considering his own re-election bid later this year in crafting the budget. “This is an election-year budget that is clearly calculated to pacify some of the governor’s critics and get him re-elected,” said Assemblyman Dario Frommer, D-Glendale, the majority leader. “Having said that, we in the Assembly are delighted this budget reflects the priorities Democrats have been pushing for the last two years – including fully funding education, maintaining a strong reserve, and reducing our out-year deficit without severe cuts to the senior and disabled.” Sen. Wesley Chesbro, D-Santa Rosa, chairman of the Senate Budget committee, cautioned that there are several factors not accounted for in the budget, including new contracts for state employees that are to be negotiated next year and rising costs for health care in the prison system. Also, he said, Democrats would like to see more money going toward health care for uninsured children and other increases in the health and human services budget. But the differences, Chesbro said, are smaller than they have been in past years. Republicans also offered tentative praise. Assemblyman Rick Keene, R-Chico, vice chairman of the Assembly Budget Committee, said he is glad the governor is paying down debt and reducing the structural deficit, but he would have liked to see him go even further. “Overall it’s the right direction,” Keene said. “He’s putting aside money for a rainy day. He is taking care of past obligations. We see those as overall very positive things.” “We just want to see if we can get further down the deficit-repayment path. Because we don’t know how long we’re going to be in this sunny time.” The governor’s budget includes: Overall spending of $131 billion and general fund spending of $101 billion. Revenue increases of $4.8 billion in 2005-06 and $2.7 billion in 2006-07 above the projections made in his January budget. One-time funding of $400 million to help hospitals prepare for health emergencies such as a flu pandemic. Settling a lawsuit filed by education advocates who contend that the governor failed to follow the Proposition 98 guarantees for education. The settlement, subject to legislative approval, includes: $2.9 billion to repay, over a seven-year period, past loans from the education budget; $2 billion added to the 2005-06 education budget and $800 million added to the 2006-07 education budget above the governor’s January projection. The plan also calls for the state to restore $44 million in payments to seniors and the disabled that the governor’s January budget had proposed cutting. The restoration, however, still leaves recipients of Supplemental Security Income receiving less than they hoped. The state is partially maintaining its policy of decreasing a portion of its contributions for the first three months of the year as federal payments increase – meaning the average recipient won’t get an expected $15-a-month increase for that period. Advocates for seniors and the disabled were angry that he did not restore all of the SSI funds. Bill Young, a 73-year-old senior activist who receives about $836 a month from SSI, said if he and other seniors don’t receive more financial help, many will end up in assisted-living facilities that will cost the state more than the SSI payments. “It just doesn’t make sense to keep cutting and cutting the lowest-income people,” Young said. “It’s not good economics.” The improving budget comes at a critical time politically for Schwarzenegger. He started the year with low poll ratings after losing all of his special-election initiatives in 2005. Then in January he proposed a budget with cuts to social service and health programs that Democrats deemed unacceptable. And he failed to persuade the Legislature to place his massive infrastructure bond on the June ballot. But recently, the governor has begun to rebound, as he abandons the harsh rhetoric of 2005. Legislative leaders, although they mostly negotiated without the governor, recently agreed to place a bond deal on the November ballot. And now Schwarzenegger has proposed a budget that restores many of the cuts that sparked Democratic objections and restores funds to education that had triggered powerful campaigns against him last year by the teachers unions. Now with an improving economy driving a stronger budget, his next test is whether he can persuade the Legislature to pass the budget on time in June or only slightly late in July. The constitutional deadline for the Legislature to pass a budget is June 15 and the governor is supposed to sign it by June 30 with the new fiscal year beginning July 1. But the constitution provides no penalties for late budgets, and they have been passed late eight times in the past 10 years. “The system is now accustomed to late budgets,” said Tim Hodson, executive director of the Center for California Studies at California State University, Sacramento. “But I think if a budget is passed by mid-July, with comparatively little acrimony, he will be able to use that in November.” email@example.com (916) 446-6723160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!