Syracuse wants ‘revenge’ against No. 3 Boston College

first_imgHead dropped and spirits low, then-junior Stephanie Grossi was visibly frustrated. After jumping out to a two-goal lead against then-No. 6 Boston College, the Orange faced a four-goal onslaught and whiffed a potential upset.That was 10 months ago on Jan. 4.Now, with a rematch against No. 3 Boston College (6-0-1, 3-0-1 Hockey East) approaching, Syracuse (1-6-1) looks to jump start its season with a home upset. With two weeks to prepare for the Eagles, the Orange is relishing an opportunity to strike back.“We really played well that first period and built a two-goal lead,” head coach Paul Flanagan said referencing last year’s loss. “I would like to think that our veterans look at the (Boston College) game as a chance for revenge.”With only one win against BC in the history of the program, Flanagan and Syracuse have historically struggled against the Eagles.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textLast season, after Syracuse scored twice in the first period, Boston College stormed back with four second-period goals, including a hat trick from then-senior forward Kristyn Capizzano. While disheartening, that stretch led to a greater motivation toward this weekend’s game, sophomore defender Lindsay Eastwood said.On Dec. 10, 2015, SU was determined to defend home ice against BC, Flanagan said. Facing the then-undefeated and second-ranked Eagles, the Orange was ready to pull a major upset.Two minutes in, Boston College dashed SU’s hopes. Then-Eagles senior Dana Trivigno dug the puck out from near the boards and found then-senior Lexi Bender at the point. Her shot in traffic bounced right to a forward who easily placed it past SU senior goalkeeper Abby Miller.That goal was only the start of a six-goal run in the first 35 minutes, and the Orange never fully responded in a 7-2 loss.SU still has memories of that game and having to finish out one of the worst losses in program history.“We know what we didn’t do well and that was play defense,” Grossi said. “They’re definitely a skilled offensive team so we need to focus on our defense.”This season, the Orange enter the rematch with Boston College on a three-game losing streak. After notching its first win against Providence on Oct. 13, SU has scored four goals while allowing 13 in nine periods.Following a bye week, SU had time to fix offensive and defensive issues, Flanagan said. The Orange will face another strong offense in a BC team that averages just over four goals a game.“The bye week has come at an opportune time,” Flanagan said. “We tried to do some extra things off ice … I wanted to give them some time to be students, recover any nagging injuries, and just get away from the game for a little bit.“Boston College is very good and we need to be ready.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on November 2, 2017 at 1:07 am Contact Adam: adhillma@syr.edu | @_adamhillmanlast_img read more

UW looks to rebound at LaBahn

first_imgJunior goaltender Alex Rigsby surrendered three goals in the two losses to Minnesota-Duluth.[/media-credit]The Badgers’ offense was nowhere to be found last weekend, as the Wisconsin women’s hockey team not only suffered their first two defeats of the season, but were shutout twice on the road against Minnesota-Duluth at AMSOIL Arena.The 2-0 and 1-0 defeats marked the first time since 2001 that the Badgers (3-2-1, 1-2-1 WCHA) have not managed a single score in back-to-back games. The series also marked the end of a six-game road trip for Wisconsin, one which included games against Minnesota State and Lindenwood.“The toughest thing in our business is to score goals,” head coach Mark Johnson said at his weekly press conference. “We were unfortunate this weekend to come away empty-handed both nights. … Their goalie was good, and we didn’t capitalize on a lot of opportunities, especially on the powerplay.”What the Badgers did get in Duluth were several difficult breaks. In Friday’s game, the Bulldogs’ (2-2, 2-2) first goal came off a botched clear that left an open net for UMD forward Brienna Gillanders. The second goal came after a solid poke check from Wisconsin’s goaltender, Alex Rigsby, which sent the puck behind her into the Badgers’ net. Saturday’s 1-0 defeat was equally disappointing, as UW failed to find a breakthrough despite multiple chances and 25 shots on goal.As Johnson pointed out, the other problem for the Badgers was the lack of scoring on powerplays. While the defense looked impressive, thwarting all eight UMD powerplays, the Wisconsin offense was another story. On Friday, the powerplay unit went 0-for-5, as Bulldogs’ goaltender Kayla Black turned aside all 31 shots. Saturday’s effort was similar as the Badgers yet again failed to capitalize, finishing 0-for-3 on powerplays. Despite their first two losses of the season, UW’s head coach said his team is not panicking.“Everything’s pretty upbeat; everything’s pretty positive,” Johnson said. “The team has played pretty well. Unfortunately, we just came away this past weekend with not scoring the goals we needed to win hockey games.”Instead, they are looking forward to their home opener and the first game ever played at LaBahn Arena. The puck will drop in the brand new 2,400-seat arena Friday at 7 p.m. against Bemidji State, and game two of the series will take place Sunday at 2 p.m.Located directly behind the Kohl Center, LaBahn Arena is a sign of the growth of the Wisconsin women’s hockey program over the last decade. The program has won four national titles since 2006 and also has six Frozen Four appearances over that period.In regard to the new arena and the home opener, Johnson had only high praise.“The future is bright for the young athletes to get a chance to work out of the facility,” he said. “There’s so many wonderful things about it. Now we get to open it up Friday night. It will be a special week. It will be a special night for the hockey program.”Some wonder how long it will take to make LaBahn feel like home for the team, as the Badgers posted a 19-2 record at the Kohl Center last year. Johnson noted that the team is beginning to adjust to its new home.The more we play, obviously, the more comfortable we’ll be,” Johnson said. “But our players, after spending a couple of weeks in the locker room, spending a couple of weeks practicing, those things are starting to come.”The Badgers will look to start turning their new house into a home against a Bemidji State team they beat in all four games last year, and currently sits at the bottom of the conference with a 1-3 overall record. However, there is no guarantee Friday’s game will end with a comfortable victory, as the Badgers only escaped the last meeting with a one-goal victory.But it may take until the first puck drop Friday night for Johnson to fully absorb the changing face of his program. “I had to pinch myself this morning as I drove down to work,” he said. “It’s a reality. It hasn’t really hit me yet.”That’s understandable since the women’s hockey team has called the Kohl Center home since 1998, sharing the venue with the men’s hockey team and both the men’s and women’s basketball teams.Once the game begins, Johnson believes that the “pinch myself” mindset will be gone and “reality will be with us Friday night.”And if they want to open their new arena on a positive note, the Badgers will be needing some goals as well.last_img read more

Swedish leadership hits back at Shekarabi’s ‘torpedo orders’

first_img StumbleUpon Share LeoVegas hits back at Swedish regulations despite Q2 successes August 13, 2020 Kindred marks fastest route to ‘normal trading’ as it delivers H1 growth July 24, 2020 Submit Related Articles Betsson outrides pandemic challenges as regulatory dramas loom July 21, 2020 Share The Chief Executives of Sweden’s leading online gambling businesses have written to the government urging for the suspension of temporary deposit restrictions sanctioned by the Ministry of Health & Social Affairs.A letter co-signed by Pontus Lindwall (Betsson), Henrik Tjärnström (Kindred Group), Gustaf Hagman (LeoVegas), Therese Hillman (NetEnt AB) and Ulrik Bengtsson (William Hill Plc / Mr Green) – urged the government to decline Minister of Health Ardalan Shekarabi’s social order.Last week, citing further protection for Swedish health networks to cope with the ongoing coronavirus crisis, Shekarabi enforced a series of online gambling restrictions – to be established for the remainder of 2020.From 1 June, Swedish gambling inspectorate Spelinspektionen will enforce a temporary SEK 5,000 (€480) weekly deposit limit across all online gambling verticals.Further restrictions see Swedish operators forced to lower their welcome bonus offer to a blanket €100. On top of deposit and bonus restrictions, Shekarabi has advised Spelinspektionen to further limit casino play return-to-player mechanisms.In response, Swedish leadership has lambasted Shekarabi actions, stating that they are counterproductive to the mandate of Sweden’s reformed Gambling Act and that the effect of restrictions will damage Swedish consumer protections in the short and long term.“Every company, regardless of industry, wants to be where the customers are,” reads the letter. “If the customers leave, the companies will follow suit.”“The Swedish gambling market not only provides safety and security to players but also contributes billions annually in much-needed tax revenue and investment in sports.”“By slowly eroding the Swedish gaming market month by month, the government risks bringing about major cuts in security, tax revenue, and societal investment.”Swedish leaders have accused Shekarabi of seeking to ‘torpedo’ gambling legislation that he personally drafted in 2017/2018, during his tenure as  Minister of Civil Affairs.The letter reminds the government that Swedish Parliament had voted to reform the nation’s gambling laws, as means to ‘take control of the market’ and terminate the presence of unlicensed actors.Shekarabi restrictions are therefore counterproductive to the core mandate of the Gambling Act – “Parliament’s preferred method of effective gambling market control is channelling, i.e. regulating what percentage of Swedish consumers choose to play with Swedish-licenced companies”.Sweden’s Minister for Health is also accused of hijacking the coronavirus outbreak to impose industry restrictions without evidence. The CEOs detail that Shekarabi is fully aware of licensed incumbents’ current plight against the black market, in which Sweden’s regulated marketplace has failed to meet its desired customer channelling target rate.Swedish leaders point to a recent independent study, undertaken by research firm Copenhagen Economics, which cites that between 72% and 78% of casino players channelled to legal sites – a figure well below Spelinspektionen expectations.The letter concluded: “The purpose of the re-regulation, which had broad support in the Swedish Parliament, was to create a more sustainable gambling market that functioned well in the long term.“The minister is about to create a “Wild West 2.0” in the gambling market, and he’s doing it in the name of consumer protection. It is now clear to us that Ardalan Shekarabi does not share our ambition to create a sustainable and safe gambling market since his latest proposal is perhaps the best advertisement yet for players to abandon licensed companies in favour of the black market.”last_img read more

Sunday editorial: Wellington City Council was wrong, but self reporting was a good move

first_imgCommentary by James Jordan, Sumner Newscow — Transparency is a word that gets thrown around a lot at governmental meetings. Politicians like to use it, and media folks do too.  Local governing bodies get tired of hearing about it, but as media members, that is part of our job. We can’t really report on what we don’t have access to. We do keep a close eye on that because even if they are making a good effort to be transparent, you don’t want to make it easy when the going gets tough and they really do want to hide something.James JordanI think we are seeing a bit of progress though with the Wellington City Council. The council has never been really bad. I have experienced much worse in other states. But even the best bear watching. Any of us might bend things a bit when in a pinch. Who hasn’t gone over the speed limit when they felt the need?Recently, we reported that the city of Wellington had self reported what they thought might have been a KOMA (Kansas Open Records Meeting Act) violation. Turns out it was, and now they have to go watch a presentation on the law itself.That meeting was a town hall meeting where several council members showed up.  Because most of them spoke, it became a violation. Had only two been there, or if they had remained silent, it would not have been a violation.It was unintentional.At the time  I didn’t think it was a problem, but some people did question it so they reported it themselves and got the ruling.Their reaction was different this time, than it was the last time they had a questionable meeting.I did question the one last summer when the city went into an executive session with hospital officials when they were discussing hospital business. I wrote about it at the time, but there was no self reporting then.They cited attorney client privilege, but the state law says you cannot have attorney client privilege if you meet with another group – which they did by meeting with the hospital officials. That was pretty cut and dry I thought at the time.They could have been fined over that one, but we thought better of reporting them. The fine is not that big – $500 max, and they would not have gotten the maximum – and that is not a good use of taxpayer dollars. We felt at the time is was better to just point out the fact that it did appear to be a violation.I still think we did the right thing.The second time it happened, they reported themselves. So maybe just pointing it out was good enough at the time.Mayor Shelly Hansel has said she wants to improve things, and she has said she would talk about any issue. True to her word, she did address this when asked.Here is her comment:“As far as I’m concerned I’m going to focus on the more pressing issues facing our community. What’s done is done. We have made some mistakes in the past and we are still learning. However, rather than dwelling on the negative I’m going to focus on the positive and put my energy into moving Wellington forward.”So some people are perhaps talking about the one last summer still. They did do a better job of handling the second one, so maybe we should call it even.Follow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (4) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. -2 Vote up Vote down paul · 229 weeks ago Eckert has only made it 2 years at his last 3 Positions. He shows no leadershp if Wellington city council will not do anything about eckert. We should make them accountable! Report Reply 2 replies · active 229 weeks ago +20 Vote up Vote down Wes Smith · 229 weeks ago So what exactly is your beef with Roy Eckert? If you’re gonna toss something out, provide a detail or two. Report Reply 0 Vote up Vote down Rusty · 229 weeks ago What has mr Eckert done to improve our community? Report Reply +3 Vote up Vote down Concerned · 229 weeks ago I just wish the council would take this stuff seriously. It seems like they just do whatever they want and deal with the consequences later. Report Reply 0 replies · active 229 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new commentslast_img read more

George Kittle doesn’t want a tight end contract from the 49ers; he wants ‘a George Kittle deal’

first_imgGeorge Kittle’s contract situation is worth watching because of the combination of two factors. The 26-year-old All-Pro is right to aim for a salary well north of what the NFL’s top tight ends earn. And the 49ers, if they so choose, could get away with not paying Kittle what he wants.And what he wants, his agent Jack Bechta recently told NFL Network, appears to be something more like what the NFL’s top wide receivers are making. “I don’t care about the tight end market,” Bechta said, via ESPN. “I’m being paid to do a George Kittle deal.”MORE: The NFL’s 25 highest-paid playersKittle is scheduled to earn $2.13 million (including a performance bonus) in 2020, the fourth and final year of a rookie contract that has averaged $674,572 per year since the 49ers drafted him in the fifth round in 2017. Which is a joke compared to the money Kittle’s top-of-the-line tight end peers are making.Below are the NFL’s highest-paid tight ends in terms of average annual salary, via Spotrac:Hunter Henry, Chargers — $10.607 millionAustin Hooper, Browns — $10.5 millionTravis Kelce, Chiefs — $9.4 millionRob Gronkowski, Buccaneers — $9 millionKyle Rudolph, Vikings — $9 millionZach Ertz, Eagles — $8.5 millionJimmy Graham, Bears — $8 millionJared Cook, Saints — $7.5 millionDarren Waller, Raiders — $7.45 millionTyler Higbee, Rams — $7.25 millionYes, Kittle making roughly a quarter of Jimmy Graham’s salary in 2020 would be ridiculous given the former’s undeniable impact, but the 49ers have leverage. San Francisco in theory could let Kittle play out the upcoming season on his current salary and then franchise tag him in 2021.Hunter Henry’s tag amount this year makes him the NFL’s highest-paid tight end at $10.6 million, which presumably is much less than the salary Kittle is seeking. In that sense, if Kittle is looking for wide receiver-like money in the $15 million-or-more range, even a second consecutive tag in 2022 would save the 49ers money. But don’t expect too much hardball from a team that appears to value a player who was such a crucial part of its Super Bowl run last season.”George isn’t going anywhere,” 49ers general manager John Lynch recently told KGMZ-FM 95.7 The Game. “We’re going to work hard to try to get it done. I think they’ve got motivation just to reset the tight end market, as do we for him. It’s just finding that sweet spot, where that is.”When that happens, I don’t know. But we’re working hard, as are they, to try to make that happen. George is going to be a part of the 49ers for a long, long time.”last_img read more