Batra files nomination papers for IOA president post

first_img(Eds: Updating with more details) New Delhi, Nov 27 (PTI) International Hockey Federation president Narinder Batra has filed his nominations for the post of the president of the Indian Olympic Association weeks ahead of its General Body Meeting on December 14 here.The upcoming AGM will elect a new set of office bearers for the countrys apex sports body.Batra has filed four sets of nomination papers with a proposer and seconder each. IOA secretary general Rajeev Mehta was one of the proposers of Batra while treasurer Anil Khanna was one of the seconders. Khanna was earlier considered as one of the possible candidates for the top job.Interestingly, Batra has also filed another three sets of nomination papers for the post of senior vice-president.Incumbent Secretary General Rajeev Mehta also filed nomination papers, seeking re-election to the same post he is currently holding. He also filed four sets of nomination papers with Batra proposing him for the post in one of them.Former member of BJPs National Council member Sudhanshu Mittal also filed his nomination paper for one of the posts of vice-president with Batra proposing his name.The deadline for filing nomination papers for the various posts is 2pm tomorrow and the list of the persons who have filed nominations will be put up at 5pm.If other candidates do not file nomination papers by this deadline, both Batra and Mehta could be declared elected unopposed as president and secretary general respectively.Batras candidature was on expected lines though initially there was some uncertainty over whether he would contest for the post of the president. But it was cleared after the Returning Officer — appointed by the IOA to conduct the elections — ruled that office bearers and members of the Executive Council elected in 2012 and 2014 can contest for the post of president and secretary general.advertisementBatra, now 60, was one of the vice-presidents from 2012 to 2014, but he was not a member of the executive council that was elected in February 2014 when India returned to the Olympic fold after a ban of 14 months.Incumbent president N Ramachandran has decided not to seek a re-election.The IOA has also called for a Special General Body Meeting here on November 29 to “discuss and interpret” the eligibility criteria for election to the post of president and secretary general ahead of the December 14 polls. But with the RO, S K Mendiratta, having issued a notice on the same matter, the SGM may now accept his ruling when the members assemble on November 29.”The election of the office bearers and members of executive council of the IOA would be held as per the Memorandum and Rules and Regulations of IOA amended upto 8.12.2013 and election bye-laws,” Mendiratta, an advisor to the Election Commission of India, said in the notice.”For the purpose of clarification, it is made clear that the office bearers and members of the Executive Council elected in AGM in 2012 and 2014, both are entitled to contest for the posts of president and secretary general,” he added.Earlier on November 8, the International Olympic Committee has told the IOA in a letter to hold the elective General Assembly in accordance with the Olympic Charter and the IOA Constitution currently in force, as approved by the international body.The international parent body has said that the election process should be conducted by an independent Election Commission in line with the election bye-laws established for the last IOA elections in 2014.The IOC also said that in the event of any doubt as to the interpretation and/or implementation of the IOA Constitution, the matter will be referred to the General Assembly for a final decision, as clearly mentioned in Article XXXI (e) of the IOA Constitution. PTI PDS ATK ATKlast_img read more

HC imposes status quo on 9th wage board gazette

first_imgHigh CourtThe High Court on Tuesday imposed a status quo for two months on publishing the gazette notification for implementing the recommendations of ninth wage board for journalists and employees of newspapers and news agencies, reports news agency BSS.An HC division bench comprising justice Obaidul Hassan and justice Mohammad Ali passed the order after holding hearing on a writ filed by Newspapers Owners Association of Bangladesh (NOAB).Advocate Eusuf Ali moved the writ for NOAB while deputy attorney general Yasmin Begum Bithi stood for the state at the court.last_img

Senate Approves Powell To Follow Yellen As Fed Chair In February

first_imgPhoto via FlickrOn Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2018, the Senate Banking Committee voted for a second time to approve Powell to be the next chairman of the Federal Reserve.The Senate on Tuesday approved President Donald Trump’s selection of Jerome Powell to be the next chairman of the Federal Reserve beginning next month.Senators voted 85-12 to confirm Powell to lead the nation’s central bank, a post that is considered the most powerful economic position in government.Powell will succeed Janet Yellen, the first woman to lead the Fed, when her term ends Feb. 3. Trump decided against offering Yellen a second four-year term as chair despite widespread praise for her performance since succeeding Ben Bernanke.Powell, 64, has served for 5½ years on the Fed’s board. A lawyer and investment manager by training, he will be the first Fed leader in 40 years without an advanced degree in economics. Many expect him to follow Yellen’s cautious approach to interest rates.Powell, viewed as a centrist, enjoyed support from Republicans and Democrats.The 12 senators who voted against Powell’s nomination included four Republicans, seven Democrats and Sen. Bernie Sanders, an independent who votes with the Democrats. One of the dissenters, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., said she was concerned that Powell “will roll back critical rules that help guard against another financial crisis.”But Sen. Sherrod Brown, the top Democrat on the Senate Banking Committee, praised Powell’s tenure on the Fed board.“His track record over the past six years shows he is a thoughtful policymaker,” Brown said.During the presidential race, Trump was critical of the role the Fed played in implementing the Dodd-Frank Act, the 2010 law that tightened banking regulations after the 2008 financial crisis. Trump and many Republicans in Congress contended that the stricter regulations were too burdensome for financial institutions and were a key reason why economic growth since the Great Recession ended in 2009 had been lackluster.Powell has signaled that he favors ways to make bank regulations less onerous, especially for smaller community banks.Trump will be able to essentially remake the Fed’s board during his first two years in office. He has already filled the key post of vice chairman for regulation with Randal Quarles. The president has also nominated Marvin Goodfriend, a conservative economist, for another vacancy on the board.In addition, he can fill three more vacancies on the seven-member board, including the key spot of Fed vice chairman, which has been vacant since Stanley Fischer left in October.All told, the vacancies will have given Trump the ability to fill six of the seven board positions with his own choices. Lael Brainard will remain the lone board member not to have been chosen by Trump.Powell, known as a collegial consensus-builder, could help serve as a steadying force for the U.S. economy as well as a unifying figure among the central bank’s policymakers. As a Fed governor, Powell has never dissented from a central bank decision.Educated at Princeton University with a law degree from Georgetown, Powell, known as Jay, spent many years in investment management — at Dillon Read and then at the Carlyle Group. His work there made him one of the wealthiest figures to serve on the Fed board: His most recent financial disclosure form places his wealth at between $19.7 million and $55 million. And based on how government disclosures are drafted, his wealth may actually be closer to $100 million. Sharelast_img read more

Various staterun private hospitals observe International Brain Tumour Awareness Week

first_imgKolkata: Various state-run hospitals and some private health establishments are observing International Brain Tumour Awareness Week from October 20-27 through various programmes.One of the main objectives of the move is to spread awareness among people about the disease and what needs to be done to check it. The incidence rate of brain tumours in India is rising. Around three percent of 78,4821 cancer deaths in India is caused due to brain tumours in 2018. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeAccording to a senior Radio Oncology Consultant in the city, different kinds of tumors are detected in patients at different age groups. While most cases have unknown causes, some are linked to genetic diseases such as Neurofibromatosis and exposure to radiations. A new emerging threat is the exposure to. While smart phones are everyone’s best friend, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has observed that radiofrequency waves from mobile phones are the new emerging threat to the disease. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedThe radiofrequency electromagnetic fields, linked to mobile phones, may be carcinogenic and there is always a high risk in using them. Dr Jyotirup Goswami, Consultant, Radiation Oncology said: “Worldwide, one percent of approximately 3 lakh cancer cases are found to have brain tumours but Indian data suggests that as much as 10 percent of new patients could be suffering brain tumors.” As per Globocan 2018 report issued by the International Association of Cancer Registries (IARC) associated with WHO, as many as 28,142 new brain tumour cases are reported in India annually, while there are as many as 24,003 death. According to a report done by the government hospitals in Bengal, around 13.6 percent cancer cases are found to be suffering from brain tumour, Dr Goswami said. A recent study in Eastern India was done by Clinical cancer investigation journal by involving 130 cases with brain tumour found male preponderance. Most common tumour type in this study was neuroepithelial tumor (70 percent). Among the neuroepithelial tumors, most frequent subtype was astrocytic tumor (41 percent). The second most frequent brain tumor was meningioma (20 cases, 15.3 percent). While symptoms of brain tumours are not always specific but persistent symptoms like unexplained headaches, difficulty in speech, vision, hearing, unexplained nausea-vomiting, changes in mood or ability to concentrate, memory loss and numbness in the legs or arms are all causes for concern. If anybody complaints about any of the symptoms the patient should consult a neurologist immediately and if necessary the patient will be asked to get brain imaging done. If the patient is diagnosed with brain tumors, a surgery may be required followed by radiotherapy & chemotherapy.last_img read more

AMResorts conversions of two Grand Oasis properties effective June 1

first_img<< Previous PostNext Post >> AMResorts’ conversions of two Grand Oasis properties effective June 1 Travelweek Group Share Thursday, March 7, 2019 center_img Tags: AMResorts TORONTO — AMResorts has announced two new resort brand management deals in Mexico that will see the Grand Oasis Sens in Cancun and Grand Oasis Tulum convert to two different AMResorts brands.The deal is part of AMResorts’ partnership with Oasis Hotels & Resorts.The deals expand AMResorts’ family-friendly resort portfolio in the country, growing the Now Resorts & Spas’ brand footprint in Cancun and introducing Sunscape Resorts & Spas in the beach destination of Akumal, in Mexico’s Riviera Maya. The resorts will undergo renovations and re-open under AMResorts’ brands on June 1, 2019. Grand Oasis Sens in Cancun will be rebranded as Now Emerald Cancun, with 427 rooms. The second property, Grand Oasis Tulum, will reopen as the 360-room Sunscape Akumal Beach Resort & Spa, the first hotel for the brand in the area. “Hotel investors, this is the right time to have a strong partner in Mexico. The team at Oasis Hotels & Resorts shares our vision for growth, and together we can tap into our collective expertise in the market to deliver an unparalleled experience for travelers,” said Javier Coll, Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer of ALG. “As the market cycle continues to turn, now is the time for owners wanting to ensure future stability for their assets and capitalize on their investments to align with the right partner who can help them weather the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry.”The AMResorts brands continue to expand in Mexico, with new properties slated to open beginning in late 2019 with Now Natura Riviera Cancun, and more properties scheduled to make their debut in 2020 and beyond. Posted bylast_img read more