Liverpool sign Portugal winger Jota from Wolves

first_imgRelatedPosts Lampard: I still have confidence in Tomori Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea EPL: Chelsea, Liverpool in cagey duel Liverpool have completed the signing of Portugal forward Diogo Jota from Wolverhampton Wanderers on a long term contract, the English Premier League (EPL) champions said on Saturday.Liverpool’s versatile 18-year-old defender Ki-Jana Hoever moved in the other direction on a five-year contract.He played four senior games for the Anfield club following his arrival from Ajax Amsterdam in 2018.British media reported that Liverpool agreed a five-year deal worth about 41 million pounds for Jota.It is expected that his versatility and work rate should fit in well with manager Juergen Klopp’s hard-pressing style of play.“It’s just a really exciting moment for me and my family,” Jota told Liverpool’s website.“All of my path since I was a kid and now, to join a club like Liverpool —— the world champions —— is just unbelievable. I just want to get started.”The 23-year-old Jota was left out of Wolves’ League Cup defeat by Stoke City on Thursday and was an unused substitute in their 2-0 league win over Sheffield United last weekend.Initially arriving on loan from Atletico Madrid in 2017, Jota has scored 16 goals and provided six assists for Wolves in the Premier League over the last three seasons.“I think I’m a team player,” Jota said. “I play upfront and my job is to find a way to score goals and to provide assists and that’s what they can expect from me…I’ll always try to help the team in the best way possible.”Jota is Liverpool’s third signing of the close season following the arrival of Spain midfielder Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich and Greece left-back Kostas Tsimikas.(Reuters/NAN)Tags: AnfieldDiogo JotaKi-JAna HoeverLiverpoollast_img read more

Extra-time again unkind to Badgers

first_imgThe University of Wisconsin men’s soccer team has struggled to win games so far this season and Saturday it suffered another extra-time defeat, this time a 2-1 loss to Michigan.The game ended when the Wolverines’ Rylee Woods scored in the 99th minute off a free kick from 30 yards out to hand Wisconsin (1-7-1 overall, 0-3-0 Big Ten) another tough loss. His shot curled around the wall and through traffic, which made it difficult for freshman goalkeeper Adrian Remeniuk to make a play.Remeniuk had taken the place of the injured Casey Beyers, who had made four starts in a row before sustaining his injury.Both teams remained scoreless until the 80th minute when senior Jacob Brindle scored off a cross to put the Badgers ahead for the time being.However, Michigan (2-5-2, 1-1-2) scored the equalizer just three minutes later when James Murphy stole the ball from the Badgers and bounced his shot off the post and behind Remeniuk for the goal.In the final six minutes of regulation, Wisconsin had several opportunities to score, but could not find the back of the net.“As soon as it went 1-1, we started creating chances again and could have easily won it in the last five or six minutes of the game once they tied it,” Wisconsin head coach John Trask said. “I thought our response to their goal was good, but soccer can be a cruel game sometimes, and our guys are living it right now.”In their past seven games, Wisconsin has scored only six goals, which has been difficult to overcome. Defensively, the Badgers have given up 18 goals in that same time frame.The opportunities were there for Wisconsin, but they were unable to convert. The Badgers had 19 total shots Saturday night, but only three were on target. Twelve of Wisconsin’s attempts came in the second half, but put only one of those shots on frame.Wisconsin also lost the corner kick battle 6-4, with all of their corner kicks coming in the second half.In order to get back in the win column, Brindle said the Badgers will need to find ways in which they can get high-quality chances.“We had some good chances. I know I should have put a couple more [shots] away, but we’ve been working on that in practice,” Brindle said. “Just getting into places where you can be dangerous in front of goal, they’re going to fall eventually.”Trask sees the opportunities that Wisconsin gets and knows they are close to putting more shots in the back of the net.“We had some good attacks that, with a little bit finer pass, or a little bit more clinical on the finish, and we probably get a couple more goals,” Trask said.Trask also knows this is the learning curve that comes with a young team that includes three freshmen on the attacking end.“I just felt that final third (of the field), that last pass, that last decision, that’s part of having a lot of young players, that’s the nature of the beast,” Trask said. “A year from now, the decision is better, the moment is better, and we have to continue to mature this group.”Before giving up the two late goals, the Badgers’ defense had been strong for a majority of the game. But after Wisconsin scored to go ahead, Michigan ramped up its attack to try to battle for the equalizer, and the Badgers couldn’t hold them back.“We knew they were going to come out strong after that first goal,” senior Carl Schneider said.Wisconsin has not played a full game of complete team defense yet, Trask said, but he will continue to work on it with his players.Michigan tallied seven shots on goal out of their 10 total shots on the game.“At the end of the day, we don’t seem to be able to stop the opposition from scoring goals,” Trask said.Despite the goals they have given up, the Badgers have played close games on their home turf, with this being the third straight Wisconsin home game to go to extra time.Remeniuk saved five shots on the night, but it was not enough to give the Badgers a win. It is unknown if Casey Beyers will be healthy enough to return to the starting 11 by their next game.The Badgers will play that next game at home at the McClimon Complex at 7 p.m. Tuesday against Green Bay.last_img read more

NFF Condoles Ahmed Musa on Mother’s Death

first_imgAhmed Musa “This is a huge shock. It is always a thing of grief and pain to lose either of one’s parents, no matter how old they were before they passed on. We share in Ahmed Musa’s sorrow at this period and we pray that God will enable him to muster the courage and give him the fortitude to bear the loss. We also pray for the repose of the soul of the departed.“Ahmed Musa has always shown a high level of dedication and patriotism in all the matches he has played for Nigeria. Everyone is in sympathy with him at this period.”On a day that Nigerian ball fans were happy that Super Eagles’ captain, Mikel Obi had secured a return to England having agreed terms with Championship side Middlesborough, came the sad news of the passing of his deputy’s mother.The electrifying forward, thenff.com learnt, was on his way to Jos, Plateau State on Thursday night to brief family members and commence preparations for his mother’s final rites of passage.NFF President Pinnick added: “I have spoken to the Honourable Minister of Youth and Sports, Barr. Solomon Dalung, who directed that I should ensure that the player was provided with adequate security at this period, especially his night movement to Jos. With the assistance of the Minister, I was able to get across to security operatives in Jos and they assured me of adequate security for Ahmed.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), has condoled Super Eagles’ deputy captain, Ahmed Musa on the death of his mother, Mrs Sarah Moses Thursday afternoon.Early reports indicated that Mrs Moses died at a hospital in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja after a brief illness.President of NFF Mr. Amaju Melvin Pinnick, said the generality of Nigerian Football fraternity was taken aback by the loss of the Super Eagles’ ace’s mum.last_img read more