Residents of Venice, Italy are dealing with record-setting tide.Stores and museums remained mostly closed Sunday in the hardest-hit area around St. Mark’s Square, as a 5 foot tide hit just after 1 p.m.Officials took precautions, such as stacking sandbags in canal-side windows of St. Mark’s Basilica, to keep water from entering the crypt again.Last Tuesday, a 6-foot 2-inch flood, the worst in 53 years, blanketed the region, while another 5-foot high tide occurred Friday.According to the city’s mayor, Luigi Brugnaro, flooding damages are in “the hundreds of millions.” In addition, officials have declared a state of emergency.They also deployed 280 civil protection volunteers from throughout the region to assist as needed. Additional volunteers in rubber boots have appeared at key sites, such as the city’s Music Conservatory, in order to save manuscripts from the invading salt water.Since officials began keeping records in 1872, that level of flooding has not been reached even twice in one year, let alone three times in a single week.
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has arrested the man accused of recording the deadly February shooting of Ahmaud Arbery on a felony murder charge.Officials say 50-year-old William “Roddie” Bryan, Jr. was taken into custody Thursday on charges of felony murder and criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment.The GBI released a statement that reads, “On May 21, 2020, the GBI arrested William “Roddie” Bryan Jr., age 50, on charges of Felony Murder and Criminal Attempt to Commit False Imprisonment. These charges stem from the February 23, 2020 incident that resulted in the death of Ahmaud Arbery. He will be booked into the Glynn County Jail.”On May 21, 2020, the GBI arrested William “Roddie” Bryan Jr., age 50, on charges of Felony Murder & Criminal Attempt to Commit False Imprisonment. Read the updated press release here :https://t.co/VJCuz8chVr pic.twitter.com/MXcs8qEY8m— GA Bureau of Investigation (@GBI_GA) May 21, 2020 Arbery was killed by 64-year-old Gregory McMichael and his son, 34-year-old Travis McMichael. The pair allegedly armed themselves and then chased the 25-year-old black man while he was jogging on their street. They are charged with felony murder and aggravated assault.This is a developing story.
Ripley then drove the child to another canal at a Kendall Lakes golf course, where he ultimately drowned.His body was discovered the next day, just hours after she claimed to have been ambushed by two black men. The mother told police that the men demanded drugs and took her cellphone, tablet and son, before fleeing, prompting an Amber Alert.According to the arrest affidavit, she told police, “He’s going to be in a better place.”Ripley, who remains in jail without bond, did not appear in Friday’s virtual arraignment. Lawyers for Miami mother Patricia Ripley on Friday submitted a “not guilty” plea to charges that she pushed her 9-year-old son with autism into a canal to drown.At a virtual arraignment, prosecutors filed a “notice of intent” to seek an indictment of first-degree murder, since they are still waiting for a grand jury to reconvene due to the pandemic.Under Florida law, only a person who is indicted by a grand jury can receive the death penalty.Prosecutors have revealed that Ripley is facing charges of attempted murder, kidnapping, aggravated child abuse and filing a false police report.They have surveillance video which apparently shows Ripley pushing her son Alejandro into a Kendall canal last month, although witnesses rescued him.JUST IN: Patricia Ripley, the Miami mother accused of pushing her 9-year-old autistic son into a canal to drown, has pleaded not guilty. https://t.co/reWELww05Q— Miami Herald (@MiamiHerald) June 12, 2020
A Broward County man faces questions about his mental status, after using a weapon to scare a neighborhood.According to the police report, 25-year-old Merville Vaughn Jr. has been Baker Acted for allegedly waving a gun at people driving by and then starting a standoff with law enforcement.The SWAT Team arrived just before noon Wednesday at a home located on NW 7th Street in Fort Lauderdale, where Vaughn was armed and hiding inside.They announced to him via loud speaker, “We’re not going away. We’ll be here as long as you want to be here.”Neighbors joined officials in trying to convince him to surrender, which he eventually did.Police told Miami television station WFOR that Vaughn was also wearing a bulletproof vest.Vaughn was taken into custody before being admitted to a local hospital for a psychological evaluation under the Baker Act. Criminal charges against him are pending, and no one was injured during the tense standoff.
ELLSWORTH — The Maine Principals’ Association finalized its reclassification proposal last Thursday, and three volleyball teams in the area are on the move.Bucksport, George Stevens Academy and Sumner will move from Class B to the newly created Class C in the sport. Joining them will be Washington Academy, Machias, Jonesport-Beals, Lee Academy, Calais, Narraguagus, Woodland and North Yarmouth. Maine Girls’ Academy could also join the new class.The Ellsworth and Mount Desert Island volleyball teams will remain in Class B, in which the nearest opponent for both teams will be Cony High School in Augusta. Yet Ellsworth Athletic Director Josh Frost said the Eagles plan to play a schedule that includes both their new opponents and the three local teams that switched classifications.Ellsworth will drop its football partnership with Sumner beginning next fall, but the team will remain in Class D with Bucksport. Class D champion Maine Central Institute has been bumped up to Class C, which includes MDI. Foxcroft goes from Class C to Class D.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textThe six Hancock County high schools will stay at their current classification levels in soccer, cross-country, golf, basketball, swimming, wrestling, competition cheer, baseball, softball and track.
BLUE HILL — The George Stevens Academy volleyball earned its first-ever playoff win Saturday against Machias before falling to Calais in Tuesday’s state semifinal match.Against Machias, Evelyn Dagan served 14 of 18 and provided 16 assists for No. 2 GSA in a 3-0 (25-12, 25-20, 25-12) victory. Sophia Biggie-Jennings added three aces, five digs and seven kills in the win over the seventh-ranked Bulldogs (7-8).On Wednesday, GSA hosted third-ranked Calais (12-4) and fell to a 3-0 (25-23, 25-21, 25-21) defeat. Dagan served 19 of 20 with 15 assists and seven kills for the Eagles (13-3), and Biggie-Jennings (seven digs and seven kills) Erika Hipsky (13 of 15 serving, four digs and 11 kills) also contributed in the hard-fought defeat.In Class B, No. 10 Ellsworth (4-11) fell 3-1 at seventh-ranked Brewer (8-7) in Thursday’s preliminary round. The No. 6 MDI girls (8-7) fell 3-0 to third-ranked Cape Elizabeth (11-4), the two-time defending Class B champion, in Saturday’s quarterfinal match.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text
Our Sports ReporterGUWAHATI: Assam will start their Ranji Trophy campaign this season tomorrow with the match against Jharkhand. The four-day match will kick off in Ranchi.Assam is placed in group ‘C’ along with Goa, Haryana, Jammu & Kashmir, Jharkhand, Odisha, Rajasthan, Services, Tripura and Uttar Pradesh.The domestic season this year started with Vijay Hazare Cricket tournament where Assam failed to put an impressive performance. But the selectors still preferred to go with a number of young players overlooking a few seniors like pacer Abu Nechim Ahmed. There are three new phases in the team in the form of Romario Sarma, Mukhtar Hussain, and Jitumoni Kalita.However, a lot of things would depend on the batting. For the last several seasons the side has been suffering a lot for the poor batting. It was the same story in the recently concluded Vijay Hazare championship also.Assam squad for the first game of Ranji Trophy: Amit Sinha (captain), Pallav Kumar Das, Rishav Das, Riyan Parag, Sib Sankar Roy, Gakul Sarma, Kunal Saikia, Wasiqur Rahman, Romario Sarma, Arup Das, Mrinmoy Dutta, Mukhtar Hussain, Rahul Singh, Jitumoni Kalita, and Ranjit Mali. Also Read: Sports News
Lauderhill: West Indies lost to India by four wickets in the first contest of the three-match rubber and the Carribean skipper Carlos Brathwaite felt his team failed to assess the conditions.Batting first, West Indies could only manage to post 95/9 in the allotted 20 overs as most of their batsmen failed to click and it was just Kieron Pollard, who showed some fight with his 49 runs.Speaking at the post-match presentation, Brathwaite said: “We didn’t assess the conditions well. Kudos to Polly (Pollard) for leading the team with the bat, showed his experience. 130-140 would have been good on that wicket.”“We showed great heart to take the game as deep as we did and it shows that we batted ourselves out of the game with lack of assessment early. We asked the guys to play positive, aggressive cricket as we West Indians instinctively do,” Carlos Brathwaite added.Brathwaite said his team needs to assess the conditions well in the upcoming games and must also improve their shot selection.“The message would be to keep the intent, however, you need to assess better and be smarter with shot selection. Sunil’s (Naraine) four overs are very important. The pacers did well to set it up as wel,” he added. IANS Also Read: Carlos Brathwaite Urges West Indies To Follow England’s Footsteps
Our Sports ReporterGUWAHATI: Assam Police Blues thrashed NFRSC 6-2 in the GSA Super Division Soccer League match tie held at the Nehru Stadium here today. It was the worst defeat for NFRSC in this edition of the meet.AP Blues opened their account today in the 9th minutes and were leading 3-1 in the first half. In the second half also they pumped in three more goals. Among the six goals Malaram Basumatary scored twice while Mofidul Islam, Sanjib Borgohain, Ajay Bakla (from penalty), and Monoj Boro scored one goal each. It was the fourth appearances for AP Blues in the competition this year and they registered their first victory. With three points today AP Blues collected five points from their four games and are promoted to fourth spot in the points tally.NFRSC, who were in the third spot in the points tally before this game, were busy in their own defense during most part of the tie today. AP Blues decided to play attacking football and it completely shattered the defense of NFRSC. Bappa Biswas and Sibra Narzary scored one goal each otherwise the story would be more humiliating for them. Like Assam Police Blues, NFRSC also played their fourth games in the competition and now are in fifth spot with five points. Tomorrow’s match: FC green Valley vs Sunrise AC.Also Read: Navajyoti Club Collect Full Points in GSA Super Division Soccer LeagueAlso Watch: Husband Kills Lakhimpur Man in Arunachal over an alleged affair with his Wife
ORGANISERS of the Ryan Crawford Memorial Turf Club and Sports Facilities (RCMTC&SF) have rescheduled the club’s horse race meet to October 30.The meet was originally planned for this Sunday at the club’s track Alness, Corentyne Berbice.However, chief organiser Marcel Crawford Jr indicated that the race meet has been postponed due to a number of unforeseen circumstances.Crawford Jr further indicated that the original programme remains the same, but with the club moving to regulate the level of racing in Guyana, a number of new initiatives will be introduced by the new date.Eight races are planned, where over $3M in cash, trophies and other incentives are up for grabs.The feature race is the classified Alness Classic over 1600 metres for a first prize of $600 000.Other races planned for the day are: G and Lower, Two-year-olds race for Guyana-bred horses, H and Lower, K and Lower, J’1’, L ‘1’, and there is an event for unclassified horses.Interested persons can make contact with Marcel Crawford Jr on 678-5342 or Compton Sancho on 602-1567 for any clarifications.