Verdict imminent in trial of 29 Turkish journalists and media workers

first_img February 22, 2018 – Updated on February 23, 2018 Verdict imminent in trial of 29 Turkish journalists and media workers TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Judicial harassmentImprisonedFreedom of expressionCouncil of Europe Update (23.02.2018): After two days of hearings, the trial was adjourned until 7 March. The court decided that the two defendants who are on the run and the journalist Emre Soncan should be tried separately, reducing the number of defendants in this trial to 26. Fourteen of them have still to present their defence. A verdict is now expected on 7 or 8 March.22.02.2018 – Reporters Without Borders (RSF) reiterates its condemnation of the politically-motivated trial of 29 journalists and media workers that resumed today in Istanbul and is expected to end tomorrow. Many of them could get long jail terms. Twenty-one of them have already been held for the past 18 months.The trial’s imminent conclusion comes in the wake of the life sentences that three well known journalists, Ahmet Altan, Mehmet Altan and Nazlı Ilıcak, received last week for allegedly abetting the July 2016 coup attempt that the government blames on the once influential Gülen movement.Because the defendants in this trial worked for media outlets that supposedly supported the Gülen movement, they are alleged to have constituted its “media wing.”On 6 February, the prosecutor requested 15-year jail terms for 23 of the defendants* for “membership of a terrorist organization.” He also requested prison for Murat Aksoy, Gökçe Fırat Çulhaoğlu and Muhterem Tanık for “supporting a terrorist organization,” the withdrawal of the proceedings against Hüseyin Aydın and a separate trial for two defendants who are on the run, Said Sefa and Bülent Ceyhan.The prosecution’s case has focused on the defendants’ journalistic activities and political views, and above all on the fact that they worked for media outlets such as Zaman, Meydan, Nokta, Bugün TV and Haberdar, which it has portrayed as Gülen mouthpieces.Although the prosecutor recognized that Aksoy and Çulhaoğlu have “no link with the illegal organization and its ideology,” he nonetheless accused them of “legitimizing the actions of the organization,” of “presenting it as a victim” and of “discrediting the justice system” by criticizing police raids on Zaman and other pro-Gülen entities since 2014.At the same time, the prosecutor requested the withdrawal of the charge of “trying to overthrow the government and constitutional order” against 13 of these journalists – an extremely serious charge that was added in March 2017 solely to ensure that they remained in detention after a court ordered their conditional release. The three judges who ordered their release were suspended a few days later.“The Turkish courts are again being used to execute an act of political revenge,” said Johann Bihr, the head of RSF’s Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk. “We again demand the immediate release of all journalists held without proof of direct and individual involvement in violent acts. This trial highlights the urgent need to reform Turkey’s terrorism law and to lift the state of emergency, which are being used to silence critics.”Turkey is ranked 155th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. The already worrying media situation has become critical under the state of emergency proclaimed after the July 2016 coup attempt. Around 150 media outlets have been closed, mass trials are being held and the country now holds the world record for the number of professional journalists detained.* Ali Akkuş, Abdullah Kılıç, Bayram Kaya, Bünyamin Köseli, Cemal Azmi Kalyoncu, Cihan Acar, Emre Soncan, Habip Güler, Halil İbrahim Balta, Hanım Büşra Erdal, Hüseyin Aydın, Mustafa Erkan Acar, Seyid Kılıç, Ufuk Şanlı, Yakup Çetin, Cuma Uluş, Mutlu Çölgeçen, Ahmet Memiş, Davut Aydın, Muhammet Sait Kuloğlu, Oğuz Usluer, Atilla Taş et Yetkin Yıldız. April 2, 2021 Find out more April 28, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Follow the news on Turkey News News Credit: Ozan Kose / AFP to go further Journalists threatened with imprisonment under Turkey’s terrorism law Help by sharing this information Turkey’s never-ending judicial persecution of former newspaper editor Human rights groups warns European leaders before Turkey summit News Organisation April 2, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Judicial harassmentImprisonedFreedom of expressionCouncil of Europe Newslast_img read more

Handbag thieves trick driver on Childers Road

first_imgPrint Facebook A WOMAN who stopped at a pedestrian crossing on the Childers Road had her handbag snatched from the passenger seat of her car. At about 4.30pm on Friday, March 9, the victim was driving a silver Volkswagen Golf and stopped at the Kilmallock Road roundabout to allow a man on crutches to cross the road. As she did so, a second man opened the passenger door and snatched a black leather handbag from the front passenger seat.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Gardaí believe the two men were working together to carry out the theftThe man on crutches was described as tall, in his early twenties with black hair and was wearing a dark top and faded jeans.The only description available of the second man is that he was small in stature.The pair were also accompanied by a young, thin girl with black hair, who was wearing bright red clothes.The stolen bag contained a sum of cash, cosmetics and other items.“I would like to advise all drivers, particularly females, to keep car doors locked while driving in urban areas,” said Henry Street Sergeant Brian Broderick.“Thieves have targeted cars while stopped at traffic lights and junctions on a number of occasions.“Handbags should also be kept out of sight under the seat from where they cannot easily be snatched”. Twitter Email Previous articleSufficient gardai guaranteed for critical timesNext articleDVD to create greater awareness of McManus awards admincenter_img Advertisement Linkedin NewsLocal NewsHandbag thieves trick driver on Childers RoadBy admin – March 21, 2012 528 WhatsApplast_img read more