Scientist Confirms That People Who Leave Festival Bracelets On Are Gross

first_imgWe get it. Your wristband is the last thing that physically ties you to the memories of your favorite festival after you leave it. Cutting it loose from your arm officially terminates the experience. Your arm will never be the same after what it went through the previous several days. But still, are these reasons to keep them on for several days/weeks/months/years after the fact? Some say they are worth wearing for conversation starters. But are they really?The answer is a resounding no. Your beloved wristbands are also a breeding environment for several types of bacteria, and contain more than twenty times the bacteria than clothes. Take a moment to imagine what those bracelets have actually gone through, not just at the festival, but also in your everyday life. Gross.Microbiologist Dr. Allison Cottell urges that you take them off immediately. In studying two wristbands that one person had been wearing for two years, she found there to be around 9,000 micrococci and 2,000 staphylococci bacteria on them – that is disgusting. While you might not be guilty of wearing them that long, your skin still accumulates an astounding amount of bacteria from wearing anything longer than a day or two. Furthermore, those bacteria can cause infections and other nasty diseases.Think about it. What if you never took off your socks?Dr Cottell explains: “Although these bacteria are normally found on the skin there was a surprisingly high number growing from the wristbands. A rough ballpark figure would be that the amount of bacteria that grew on wristbands was about 20 times higher than you would expect to find on the sleeve of a piece of clothing that would be regularly laundered.”Read more on Daily Mail.last_img read more

Energy heavyweight Medco books $95m loss in first half

first_img“Low energy demand during the COVID-19 pandemic caused oil prices in the second quarter to fall below $30 per barrel and kept gas demand at a minimum,” said Medco CEO Roberto Lorato in a statement on Oct. 3.Low global oil prices suppressed Medco’s income even though oil and gas production rose 5 percent yoy to 101,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day (boepd) in June, according to the statement.Global oil price benchmark Brent reached $37.62 per barrel on Monday, well below last year’s average of $60 per barrel, Bloomberg data shows. Analysts expect Brent prices to remain below $50 per barrel this year.The company’s electricity sales slumped 9 percent yoy to 1,136 gigawatt hours (GWh) in the first half due to lower electricity demand in Batam, an industrial area where Medco operates several power plants. Meanwhile, Medco’s expenses rose 28 percent yoy to $349.2 million in the first half, notably driven by a doubling of oil and gas asset depreciation, depletion and amortization costs, in line with the falling oil prices.“This is what made operational costs rise. Furthermore, [Medco’s] mining company had a lot of activity in its mining assets,” MNC Sekuritas analyst Rudi Suthong told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday.Medco’s affiliated gold and copper miner PT Amman Mineral Internasional lowered its loss by 59 percent to $20.3 million in the first half. The miner began new production from its prized Batu Hijau mine in West Nusa Tenggara in April.The company, which previously revised down its 2020 capital expenditure budget to $240 million, has disbursed $178 million for several energy projects as of the first half “in anticipation of a better future”.Read also: Medco cuts capex and production over oil price crashMost of the disbursed capital (67 percent) went to developing oil and gas projects in Meliwis, East Java and in the South Natuna Sea. The remainder (33 percent) went to developing a power plant in Riau and exploring geothermal wells in Ijen, East Java.Medco stocks, publicly listed at the Indonesia Stock Exchange as MEDC, rose 4.73 percent on Tuesday compared to the benchmark Jakarta Composite Index (JCI) rise of 0.93 percent, Bloomberg data shows. The company’s stocks have plunged more than 50 percent so far this year, underperforming the broader JCI’s 20 percent drop.Topics : PT Medco Energi Internasional, Indonesia’s second-biggest homegrown oil and gas company, booked a US$95 million loss in the first half of this year, following a collapse in domestic and global energy demand. Medco’s revenue fell 7.6 percent year-on-year (yoy) to $551.76 million in the first quarter, driven by lower oil and gas revenue, which is Medco’s biggest income contributor, the company’s latest financial report shows.The second quarter saw oil and gas demand plummet as cities and provinces entered large-scale social restrictions (PSBB), starting with Jakarta in April.last_img read more